Old 07-06-20, 08:34 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Caffeine works for me but too much makes me jittery and any after let’s say 2pm can impact my sleep. Genetics plays a role in caffeine metabolism. Genetically, I am a fast caffeine metabolized.

My research into caffeine and athletic performance indicates that studies have shown caffeine improves both aerobic and anaerobic capability. If one is interested search US NCBI data base for articles.

Whether it works for an individual is up for grabs as evidenced in the small sampling of posts here.

As for cheating, to cheat at something, one has to break a rule. Globaldro.com indicates for US athletes, USADA, that caffeine is not prohibited in or out of competition. For Switzerland, Globaldro.com does not indicate cycling as a sport of interest ,who knew, and lumps it with other sports and caffeine does not show up.

The fact that it is not on the WADA list is indicative that it may be inconclusive as to its performance enhancing ability or is harmful to athletes health. And it may be that it is so engrained in society in Europe and the US that putting it on the list would further limit anyone wanting to participate in the sport or be able to escape ingesting it. Hence one could never get a negative result.

TL;DR If you like coffee / caffeine drink it/use it if you think it adds value to your cycling.