Old 07-06-20, 10:02 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Please read the thread if you are going to make smarmy comments.

My question was a somewhat rhetorical reply to the previous question of whether you can catch covid from surfaces. If you don't catch it from surfaces why wash your hands? begs the question... for most people.

Whether it's aerosol or particle - unless you believe the virus dies immediately upon contact with a surface, it's pretty likely that touching that surface transfers the virus to your hand.. and then by touching.. to your eyes, nose or mouth.
Well the scientists say we don’t know how much virus is needed to cause infection so I suppose the idea is to ‘cover all the bases’ with hand-washing etc even if the chance of catching from surfaces seems to be small. & doing experiments with human volunteers would be “unethical”.

Anyway, how is this a big problem for bike touring? One can wipe food packages & hotel surfaces, carry one’s own food utensils etc.

A bit off-topic but if logic ruled we would have a push to install old-fashioned Asian-type hole toilets. Currently, Chinese researchers claim that flushing sit-down toilets can actually spread COVID thru splashing/spraying toilet water. COVID or not, I find it gross that folks sit on filthy toilet seats vs squatting on the rim which is more efficient anyway.