Old 07-08-20, 02:09 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Road rash a few times. Nothing serious, scraped knees and elbows.
A couple of stitches in my elbow, washed out on fresh chip-seal I didn't see in a corner during a pre-dawn ride.
Only serious accident was due to a left cross during a descent (10/04/94). 75 or so stitches in right eyebrow (3 layers of stitches), another couple of dozen just below my knee (must have caught car roof or handlebar as I went over), another couple on my cheekbone, hairline fracture of thumb, a few chipped teeth. Landed on my head (only road rash was on helmet and face - that's when I started the beard I wear to this day). No serious concussion, was never fully unconscious. Fell asleep in the CAT scan machine. Still don't remember the actual crash or several minutes afterwards, "woke up" as I was being loaded into the ambulance.

Lesson learned: when the car next to you suddenly starts slowing down, grab the brakes. The guy at the head of the line of traffic in my lane stopped to let someone in the oncoming lane turn left into their driveway, the line of cars stopped, I looked to the van on my left (which also was blocking my view ahead to the opposite lane) like "WTF are you doing?", that's the last I remember.