Old 07-08-20, 04:19 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Good discussion! I also read Gov. Brown's veto rationale in that he doesn't want the state to be sued for head on collisions for 'allowing' unsafe passing. Just look at another state's vehicle code! As I said before, Ohio doesn't seem to make it illegal to cross the double line, but does make it illegal to drive on the left of the roadway in many cases. Safe overtaking is not one of those times. The key being safe. Like Iride01, I've confidently occupied the right tire track on the right side lanes (unless making left turns on multiple lane roads). I'm thankful that many, many drivers in my city consider me to be traffic and not an impediment, and dutifully wait for a safe time to pass. I also monitor traffic behind me so I can see a backup and plan to yield to traffic behind me when needed and safe. I ran into a website called I am Traffic that makes some good points.
The hardest part about this from the driver's perspective is that crossing that double yellow line is always taught as forbidden, to the point that drivers are unwilling to pass stopped buses with a clear and safe center left turn lane, causing quite the backup.
https://iamtraffic.org/engineering/c...e-yellow-line/

Good read. I think the point really needs to be driven home that crossing the double yellow is something that happens everywhere, and all the time. It’s better for cars and better for cyclists. It’s PURELY a matter of Jerry Brown being afraid of lawsuits - ie it seems the state’s interests take precedence over the cyclists’ and the motorists’. Disgusting.

Also, legislation ought to follow cultural norms, not the other way around. If people want to be able to cross the double yellow when safe, the law should allow it.