Old 07-08-20, 10:02 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Yeah, I have much the same questions as posed in post 3. How long in the pot, are you agitating the wax, etc. You mentioned doing a 2-chain rotation, I'm assuming you leave one chain immersed in the hardened wax while you're riding the other?

As to additives, a bit of Slick 50 helps with longevity, but allows the wax to get a bit dirtier. I've had good fortune just throwing a puck of Mr. Zogs into my wax blend. Cool water formula is what I've used, also makes the shop smell nice.

The only thing I can say for certain is absolutely DO NOT solvent-clean the chains between dips. I tried that technique, as it was recommended by someone here on BF. I started a pair of two-chain rotations on two bikes at the same time, using FSA Team Edition chains. The bike that got solvent-cleaned chains lasted less than 1,600 miles per chain. The chains that just rotated bike to pot and back were just replaced this week at roughly 2,500 miles per chain-- not great compared to others I've used, but still over 50% longer than the ones that were repeatedly cleaned.