Old 07-09-20, 07:30 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: TWO Cinelli superstar disc with SRAM Force AXS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 202 Posts
Rather than hot wax, I use paraffin dissolved in naphtha (camp stove fuel). I also add automotive gear lube to the paraffin. If paraffin is melted and as much as 30% gear lube added to it, the oil will remain mixed after the paraffin cools and hardens. When I make my lube, I pour the melted mixture into the naphtha, so it dissolves quickly. The ratio of solvent to paraffin can be as little as 3/1, but it may require a temperature around 80 degrees to have a water like viscosity. The bottle of lube may need to be placed in hot water to liquify it. I've used as much as a 6/1 mixture that stays liquid at lower temperatures, but that has a lot less paraffin in it.

I relube after 150 miles or three rides, to be sure that I never get chain squeak. Lubing takes only a couple of minutes with no chain removal required.

I would never use paraffin oil. It's really a solvent with no lubricating value. Put some in an open container and it will eventually evaporate. Lubricating oil does not evaporate.

Chain life is very good with this lube.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 07-09-20 at 02:29 PM.