sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61 View Post
I think I will start with a fresh batch of Molten Speed Wax. I did buy a candy thermometer that I was going to use to check the wax temperatures, maybe it is time to start using it. I do agitate the chain in the liquid wax and I do use the MSW swisher tool which I agree works really well.

I too wax with MSW for a few years now. I use 25% paraffin and 75% MSW. Temp is critical IMO of the product. If you don't get it hot enough and get the chain hot it doesn't work as well IMO. I found that the temp suggested is important. I tried it at various temps and the hotter the wax the better it performed. Make sure the chain is warm too that helps a bunch!

I live in a more dry place but I get 400 miles out of a waxing and change no more than 450 even if I am not getting the signs. One thing I will also say is the more "solid" and chain is the better it works. I use KMC and Shimano and the Shimano chains have better wax hold for lack of better words. KMC chains the lightweight ones with the cut out on the plates just don't last as long. the more chain to stick too is better it seems? just my thoughts.

Temp though, I feel that is important of the wax.