Old 07-09-20, 11:59 AM
ronin4740

Bikes: Giant TCR, Pure City Original Fixie, Fuji Roubaix, Raleigh M800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
GRX Drivetrain - Clicking

Have developed a clicking sound from the drivetrain. Pretty sure it's not a wheel bearing as the noise does not happen when the pedals are not turning.

I did a deep cleaning of the Drive system as best I could yesterday. I'm away from home and don't have a bike stand to work from...

* Pulled the chain off the bike, cleaned the FD and RD as best I could without pulling apart the jockey wheel cage (cleaned the pulleys with a rag and applied some chain lube to the bearings),
* Pulled the crank off, dry cleaned the threaded bottom bracket, cleaned and lubricated the drive side crank spindle, installed and torqued the non-drive side to spec*
* put the chain back on, cleaned it using orange clean and a Park chain cleaning tool. Lubed it using muc-off ceramic lube.

Rode the bike today. The clicking was gone for the first half of the ride which was on pavement. After spending about 8 miles on a gravel trail and going back to pavement the clicking was back with a vengence.

The clicking sound seems to be located at the rear of the bike. I've ordered a new chain in the event I've bent the chain or have a sticky link... Am wondering if I should also replace the pulley wheels and, if so, if anyone knows how many teeth are in a GRX RD pulley wheel?

Thanks!