Just Say No to 26" Wheels

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey/Gary Fisher Sugar 293

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ParamountScapin writes:

=====
"Wife wants us to join in the fun and am thinking a tandem is the way to go. As I am not sure it will be a lasting relationship (the tandem, not the wife - I'm too old to get divorced), I want to start with something used.

What are a couple of decent used bikes to look at? I assume all the standard names (Burley, C'dale, etc.) are good. Want something under 40 lbs, if possible.

How about the new Raliegh Coupe?"

=====

Paramount, I am also in the market to get into a tandem for what may end up to be rather limited use. However, mine will be used for father/daughter longer distance events ridden at "comfort" speeds (first long one being RAGBRAI this summer). So I am looking at the steel frame Burley Zydeco Mixte-X, the aluminum frame Raleigh Coupe, the steel frame Raleigh Companion (because of the lower top tube for the stoker which is perfect for a child) and a few others at the moment are under consideration. I don't have the luxury of trying any of them out because I live overseas in an area where they don't carry them in the shops. I have plenty of spare parts to adjust the captain's cockpit to fit my needs once I finally do select a tandem.

I was reading about the Raleigh Coupe on the internet, but doubt if there are any used models available yet as it just came out in 2003. Price new is $999 - $1099 according to the dealerships I have spoken to in the last few days. The name of their 2002 model is the AL Tandem and perhaps will come up in the used sale market. It looks like the Raleigh Coupe uses a pretty standard frame that quite a few tandem makers are using for various bikes decked out with different packages in the comfort to off road category. You can read 3 reviews here of the 2002 Raleigh AL Tandem model (pretty much the exact same component package as the 2003):

http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/200...ct_85470.shtml

I also read a review somewhere where a couple tried out a Raleigh Coupe at a shop and kept having chain slipping problems under heavy load pedal cadence. Evidently the shop owner tried a few things to correct the problem and they didn't get it solved, so the couple bought a different brand instead. Who knows if it was an out of alignment frame, loose chain, chain-line problems or what, but at least it is worth noting and something to watch for if you get a chance to try one of the Coupes out.

All in all, it doesn't look like too bad of a bike and component package for the price point and will run well at comfort speeds. Plenty of other tandems to choose between, but since you had asked about the Coupe, I thought I would share some of the things I have looked at with regard to this model.

BB

Last edited by BruceBrown; 04-29-03 at 01:35 AM.