View Single Post
Old 07-10-20, 06:01 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Another advantage of disc brakes is being able to swap wheel sizes. I swap between 700c and 650b wheels on my gravel bike. The smaller wheels allow wider tires and slightly lower gearing for rougher trails.

The broken spoke advantage is real, especially when touring. Nice not having to disconnect a brake to keep riding. discs provide better mud clearance. Discs make wheel changes quicker as well, no worry about releasing the cable to clear wide tires.

I honestly don't understand the comments about disc brakes being high maintenance. I have TRP Spyres on the gravel bike and BB7's on two others. The Spyres are the easiest brake I've ever set up, bar none. None of my brakes squeal. You do have to be careful to not get oil, even from your fingers, on the rotors. But that is not very limiting.

I don't think the discs stop any better than the rim brakes in dry conditions. Wet is a different matter.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 07-10-20 at 06:05 PM.
Likes For Pop N Wood: