View Single Post
Old 07-10-20, 08:38 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by BromptonINrio
great photos.

how was bike touring throught senegal? what was your route?
Thanks . I was there to work, though, rather than tour and the time under my control was largely limited to that during weekends. With these limitations Brompton still turned out to be invaluable as there is no functional formal public transportation system in Senegal at least outside of the capital. The Brompton was essential both locally, for grocery shopping and general exploration, and long distance. The transport basically is such that you hitch rides with other travelers either in cars, minibuses or larger buses that stop at places that are not marked, but generally known to the community, could be crossroads, gas stations or some tree. The minibuses are decorated with flair and are outstanding places for observing local life. The system is called "transport en commun" and if anybody has a chance at any point I highly recommend watching the Senegalese movie musical Un Transport en Commun/St Louis Blues that genuinely provides a sense of the experience.

Brompton was ideal for sniffing out a location from where longer distance transport takes off, taking it along and then continuing at the destination. The Brompton traveled to Dakar on the roof of a bus such as below and then back to a smaller city on the coast, where I worked, in a shared taxi. I basically explored Dakar and the plan next was to go to Island of Goree, but I ran out of time. Besides I went to the shell island Joal Fadiouth. Saly, a tourist beach resort, was sticky for many reasons. Real beaches in Senegal look more like below, I am sorry to say.

Typical minibus in Senegal

Typical state of a beach

Last edited by 2_i; 07-10-20 at 08:48 PM.
Likes For 2_i: