Old 07-11-20, 09:45 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 270 Posts
If you put too much weight on your hands when riding, how strong is your core?

I came back to riding 7 years ago with a weak core, and I've worked my way all the way up to up to less weak. I can tell you that it's pretty cool to ride with no discernible weight on one's hands. It's a state of bliss I reach frequently enough to make me start the program to be able to do a plank for 5 minutes (fiveminuteplank.com)

I, too, have relatively longer torso/arms than leg length. I ride a bike with a 54 CM seat tube, 56 CM top tube, and 11 CM stem. It was manufactured in 1973. Today's bikes seem to be square, so you have to choose to get a bike that fits your legs or your torso/arms. I'd need a 13 CM stem with a square frame.

Some people argue that the effective TT length is the critical measurement for a bike. I've come down on the top tube in emergency stops, so I really like to have that 1" between me and the TT, but if I were buying a modern bike with a slanted TT, I think I might go for the longer ETT and just make sure I don't need to make any emergency stops. Fortunately, I don't need a modern bike.

Last edited by philbob57; 07-11-20 at 09:50 AM.