View Single Post
Old 02-10-06, 01:15 PM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cerewa
but from a comfort, fun, and function standpoint there's nothing better about more expensive bikes unless you convince yourself there is.
I must completely disagree ...to a point. I agree with you about peoples' desire to have the best in our society. Hardly the peoples' fault though, that's how our society works. As for the gear, however, in every sport the levels of gear from say Walmat to high-end completely serve a purpose. A 200$ MTB is fine for going about town a getting a few things, maybe even commuting. Are you going to take on the mountains and an intermediate/expert level run with that? The brakes won't stop it in the mud, the rims would be destroyed after an afternoon, and you could more than likely break the frame off a couple good airs. A strong rider can wreck a low end wheel in no time, but someone who take their time and doesn't push....it might last years. This low-end gear is designed to introduce people to a new sport. If they get better and 'out grow'/destroy the gear, they upgrade. Same with skateboards, skis/snowboards, running shoes and all the performance clothing that goes along with it. You don't go out an buy your 11 year old a 300$ pro setup, you get a 30$ setup and let him thrash it. I've not skated a novice setup in over 20 years, as I'd destroy it in a day based on my abilities. The gear increases in quality and performance capability as it does in price. Otherwise it's a rip off and doesn't sell at all. I'm not a weight weenie but I like to be able to put my energy to the road more efficiently than if I were pedaling a tank.

That being said after 5 years of daily riding I actually need to get a couple parts for my mid range bike 1200$ new i think it was.... I bought it a year old for a deal. Wore the Kool Stop down to the mounting pins and is now grinding the rim. If I'd had cheap rims I would have had to replace both at least once in this time. These will be the first parts I've had to buy for my ride. I'd never have gotten that mileage or performance from a 200$ bike. It simply does not suit my needs. Nor does a 5000$ titanium racing machine. Too much bike for what I need.