davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Newbie Skillzzzz

Covid-19 related closures and cancellations have driven people to the woods to recreate in larger numbers than ever. I started mountain biking in earnest when my office closed in March, therefore cancelling my commute.

Here are some things I have learned which I found helpful that ANYONE can do:
- Keep your eyes on the trail/feature ahead of you. This sounds moronic but there's a tenancy to look down at your front tire. It's true - your body will follow where your eyes go so head up!
- Practice micro-skills like manuals, bunny hopping, this will help you put it all together. Easier to practice in your yard then head out and apply on the trail.
- Get comfortable shifting weight - especially backward. Leaning back will help you gain confidence and avoid that endo feeling many of us experience. It will also help you unload the front tire which is a game changer when trying to crawl up tricky terrain.
- HEALS DOWN on descents - this will help avoid that feeling of your feet popping off the pedals, if you are riding flats. If you're new and you're riding clipless, get a set of platforms until you're skills are built up
- Always climb in a lower gear than necessary - you can spin all day in the saddle but your strength muscles are only good for a few stomps. Save those for peaky climbs.
- Learn trail etiquette (whole 'nother post there) and get involved in trail days, etc. JOIN!

I sincerely hope this helps, as I mentioned, I am new myself so I am sure others here can add!!
Likes For davei1980: