Old 07-14-20, 06:41 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
polymorphself , if the bike only has 50 miles on it then it's safe to say that the spokes have never been stressed. Given that, I'm going to make a suggestion.

Re-use the spokes.

1) spokes are not cheap as you have discovered
2) there is nothing wrong with the spokes you have other than some mild surface corrsion
3) this is your first build so you have some learning to do
4) there are degrees of wheel build quality, your first build may not be perfect so no need to waste a good set of new spokes
5) if you haven't already done so, buy a spoke length tool.... wheel truing stand.... and ....dishing tool

The easiest way to clean spokes is to soak them in something like this and wipe with a green scotch pad....Test on one spoke first.

Thanks, you’re probably right and I’ll give soaking them a shot. Normally I would just clean spokes up with steel wool but somehow even that wasn’t doing the trick. Not sure how this happened when the rest of the bike is close to NOS condition (under all the grime I’ve been getting off and out of it). And that’s part of the problem, the spokes being dulled or having corrosion spots will bother me compared to the rest of the bike when it’s done, but we’ll see what a good soak can do to them. Gonna pickup the spoke length tool as well because I may as well have one.

Any thoughts on the seals above?