Old 07-15-20, 02:21 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2310 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 401 Posts
It's funny how the attitude changed in just a few years. Let's put this in perspective of the times. Circa the mid to late 70s, center pull brakes were one of the biggest indicators of a quality bicycle. Actually, it was probably the main thing. We kids had all suffered through cheap steel sidepull brakes on various cheap bikes. They barely stopped, and they would always go off center and start rubbing the rim. They were just generally a pain. When you first tried one of those fancy (usually French) bikes with center pull brakes, it was immediately and obviously a monstrous improvement. They stopped with real power, and they always stayed centered. You did not need to fiddle with them all the time. They just worked and worked well. Magic!

Originally Posted by uncle uncle View Post
The head mech at the shop told me that "they were hard to adjust correctly, and squealed", which didn't bode well for me either.
IMHO, not really. I've never met a set of center pulls I could not easily adjust and set up to be squeal free. That mech probably didn't know how to adjust them correctly. CP brakes really aren't that difficult. The early Dia Compe cantis were relatively much more annoying. I hated U brakes most of all, but it was primarily because of the inconvenient location. The bike had to be flipped around in the stand to get to them.
Likes For Salamandrine: