Old 07-17-20, 08:31 AM
Paul J 

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum (Currently in a box awaiting a modern build), 1995 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campy Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by sapporoguy View Post
We took our Co-Mo Speedster onto some fire roads above the Pacific the past few weekends, from Tennessee Beach to Muir Beach. Great fun! except we had to push it uphill a bit when we lost traction, and it was a little shaky downhill. We'd love to ride on more of those roads.
So: I'm thinking we need a mountain-bike tandem!
I'd want to either buy a used one complete, or convert a good solid frame myself.
I'd probably prefer building one up. Because it would be funner! And I could buy lots of stuff.
Any advice?
You don't say what year your Speedster is so don't know if you have one with disc brakes. If you do you could build-up a set of 650b wheels which would give you the ability for wider tire options. If I was looking to build up a fire road bike I'd consider a Canondale MBT which would give you a great platform to create a great gravel bike. The Salsa Powderkeg would be a nice frame set to find and build up. Something to consider is the cost of building up a bike from scratch part -by-part which can get spendy. A couple of great bikes out of the box would be a Co-Motion Mocha 650bx50mm or Java 700x50mm (50mm = 2.0")