Old 07-17-20, 05:41 PM
bikeinxs

Bikes: Ibis Cousin It converted to a drop bar dirt road cruiser, True North Ti Tandem, garage full of half bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by twocicle View Post
Contrary to the posts above, here is proof of a XTR Di2 triple setup using 48/36/26 rings...

upgrade to triple XTR Di2 and Lightning cranks

We have had zero issues with this setup. My only install issue was that we use a special narrow q-factor crankset which also moved the chainrings inboard and so I needed to create a special FD mount to move the FD inboard as well. Otherwise, no other adapters, shims or whatever.

Our middle 36 chainring will move us along at up to 25mph before needing the big ring and that will get us up to >35mph at which point we tuck and coast. Unless you race, "needing" a gear bigger than 48x11 is somewhat subjective. That said, my single/race bike is geared bigger, but the tandem is a different beast. Our tandem wins the top speed award at > 60mph. Anyone that has ridden with us knows we don't need a bigger gear
That's a beautiful bike. The Shimano factory specs are made to be broken. Is that a from scratch mount or a modification of the Calfee mount? Like I said in my post, at least one tandem manufacturer is making it work.