Old 07-18-20, 09:27 PM
mtseymour

Bikes: 2022 Calfee Tetra, 2023 Giant TCR

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeinxs
Woven Precision is an Ottawa company that started as an offshoot of a local bike shop. They have been around for quite a few years and have built up a very loyal following in the high end market around here, particularly among the gravel/cyclocross crowd. I've had a set of carbon Woven MTB wheels for about 5 years and they are bombproof. I think we were their first tandem wheel build, with their 45 mm deep road rims mounted on White Industries Hubs. Since then they have sold others. After 5,000 km they are still perfect. We run 650B wheels for more adventurous unpaved riding but these wheels have seen more than a fair share of rough roads, potholes and abuse.

As to why I actually went with Woven, that's probably harder to answer. This tandem was a special 25th anniversary present to ourselves and we knew we would be riding it for a long time. I wanted everything about it to be awesome. The Woven wheels are reasonably light and incredibly strong. They aren't cheap but the price is fair for what they are. I talked to them about the application and they were confident that their product would work on a tandem. They look fantastic. I honestly could not be happier about the choice.
It's nice when you have access to a good local builder. The wheels look very good. Do they use 32H lacing? We're about the same weight and think that 28H lacing will be strong enough (esp with 35 or 45mm depth). Are you running tubeless?