Old 07-22-20, 11:35 AM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
I'm out of the picture for at least the next 2 to 3 weeks so I won't be participating in any ride reports.

While riding on a bike path through an underpass in Irvine 2 weeks ago, the bright to dark transition played a trick on me and I did a panic stop which threw me over my handlebars onto the concrete. Walked to Hoag ER (2 blocks away) with friends helping. broken finger, dislocated fingers, bruised and banged up all over. I need a new helmet. I'm pretty sure my helmet saved my life. I did not lose consciousness, but I did have the worst case of whiplash for the next 4 days. I was extremely lucky. For someone my age (65) to take a hit like that and walk (slowly) away from it was nothing short of a miracle.

I'm posting this 2 weeks after the accident and I'm just starting to be able to use my right hand to type. The bangs and bruises are healing nicely but there is no way I'll be back on a bike for at least another 3-4 weeks at best.

My bike is fine, it landed on me.
Glad you were well enough to walk away from it. I always get nervous when I ride down Mt. Baldy and hit those dark tunnels for this very reason. Has never happened to me on the bike, but I once freaked out while driving with my sunglasses and driving into a dark tunnel...