Old 07-24-20, 11:20 AM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by sapporoguy View Post
We took our Co-Mo Speedster onto some fire roads above the Pacific the past few weekends, from Tennessee Beach to Muir Beach. Great fun! except we had to push it uphill a bit when we lost traction, and it was a little shaky downhill. We'd love to ride on more of those roads.
So: I'm thinking we need a mountain-bike tandem!
I'd want to either buy a used one complete, or convert a good solid frame myself.
I'd probably prefer building one up. Because it would be funner! And I could buy lots of stuff.
Any advice?
I see so many bargain Cannondale mountain tandems on CraigsList that this would be my choice. I also happen to ride an old Cannondale mountain tandem. Spoiled by its solid feel. I have never had any problem with what others refer to as the "high captain bottom bracket." Mine's old and doesn't have much room for front suspension, so my 5" travel Fox shock results in less than ideal steering. But the long travel benefits far outweigh the steering issues. If you find a newer model set up for discs, then you're set. (I'm running a disc in front, Magura hydraulic rim brakes in back.) $500 for a complete bike is not uncommon. $800-$1,000 is the norm. BUT you'll have to source a shock in most cases.

This is probably the cheapest way to get an off-road able front suspension tandem.

It's a total blast and I highly recommend it!