View Single Post
Old 07-24-20, 10:45 PM
ooga-booga
lead on, macduff!

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 1,320 Times in 722 Posts
besides the san diego county stuff mentioned elsewhere:

anything along the coast from the edge of san diego county (san onofre state beach) north to san simeon...with the exception of wilmington (squeezed between long beach and san pedro).

ca hwy 74 from east hemet to the 74/371 junction. ca hwy 243 intersects ca hwy 74 six miles south of idyllwild. bring your climbing bike for the 74 and/or the 243 but scenic.

joshua tree national park...park blvd and the west entrance to jumbo rocks campground (roughly 50 miles round trip) and back.

death valley national park. use the furnace creek area as a staging area (supplies) and head south towards badwater and artist's palette. 50 miles. head east uphill to dante's view and
the zabriskie point viewpoint. 50 miles.

san bernardino mtns...ca hwy 18 from the lake gregory/arrowhead area southeast towards big bear lake and around big bear lake and back. 50 miles.

san gabriel mtns north of la...ca hwy 2 (angeles crest highway-ach). any stretch from la caņada to wrightwood.

glendora mountain rd/glendora ridge rd (gmr/grr) probably the best mountain road in socal. 40+ miles from the base to mt. baldy village and back. north of the azusa/glendora/210 fwy area.

palos verdes peninsula...south bay area of la. concentrate on the winding roads/climbs/descents in the town of palos verdes estates and you'll be happy.

santa monica mountains...starting with ca hwy 27 and heading west all the way to point mugu...climbfest, no bad routes.

ojai area...ca hwy 33 from town to the first or second summit. both are awesome.

santa barbara...gibraltar rd and connecting east camino cielo rd.

santa ynez valley...fig(ueroa) mountain rd, happy canyon rd, foxen canyon rd, santa rosa rd.

that's the short roadie list (not including san diego co) i'd want to hit on a road bike if i were leaving socal permanently. there are a bunch near/south/west of san simeon that i'd like to hit but i'm sure someone else can post those. listed + san diego + central coast area is one area at least two weekend trips (and occasionally three) a month.

hope you've got your climbing legs and climbing gears...

Last edited by ooga-booga; 07-25-20 at 12:21 AM.
Likes For ooga-booga: