View Single Post
Old 07-25-20, 11:17 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2329 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by John E View Post
Susan Goldsmith was a sweetheart. Alan was an attorney, and the bike shop was indeed Susie's idea. They hired me as I was graduating from UCLA, and I worked at the Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, and Marina Del Rey stores during my first two years of grad. school. Lots of late Friday nights assembling bikes for the big Saturday sales rush, with pizza provided by Alan and Susie. I still have the Peugeot UO-8 I custom built for my bride back in 1973, with the Bikecology sticker still intact. My wife later became afraid of riding in traffic, so I built her a mountain bike and repurposed the Peugeot as my beater/commuter.

The first shop location was in Los Angeles, Wilshire blvd near Federal Ave, I dropped in shortly after they opened up. Bright green fake grass flooring, Peugeot checkerboard stripe along the back wall. Had a roll up door even. They stated they were going to open a coffeehouse along with, (never did, but they could have done well perhaps, Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf opened up on Barrington near San Vicente, but only sold beans and tea, you could sample for free. In 1979, I told the manager there they should sell cups of coffee and coffee drinks, the manager replied that she tried, but the owner was not interested!) If I only had some capital...

Later Bikelogy moved to the Bekins Van and Storage building in Santa Monica, then again closer to the Beach, about 14th street or Euclid.

At Wilshire and Westgate was Wilshire West Bicycles, Jim Holly worked there for a while and then started building Griffon frames. At some point WLA bike and Hobby bought or took over the Wishire West space, moving from Santa Monica Blvd near Corinth Ave. They did not last long there. The only "Westside" shop that still exists is Helen's Cycles.