Thread: Bikeology Girl
View Single Post
Old 07-25-20, 01:13 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 674 Times in 474 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage View Post
The first shop location was in Los Angeles, Wilshire blvd near Federal Ave, I dropped in shortly after they opened up. Bright green fake grass flooring, Peugeot checkerboard stripe along the back wall. Had a roll up door even. They stated they were going to open a coffeehouse along with, (never did, but they could have done well perhaps, Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf opened up on Barrington near San Vicente, but only sold beans and tea, you could sample for free. In 1979, I told the manager there they should sell cups of coffee and coffee drinks, the manager replied that she tried, but the owner was not interested!) If I only had some capital...

Later Bikelogy moved to the Bekins Van and Storage building in Santa Monica, then again closer to the Beach, about 14th street or Euclid.

At Wilshire and Westgate was Wilshire West Bicycles, Jim Holly worked there for a while and then started building Griffon frames. At some point WLA bike and Hobby bought or took over the Wishire West space, moving from Santa Monica Blvd near Corinth Ave. They did not last long there. The only "Westside" shop that still exists is Helen's Cycles.
Yeah, I worked in the Bekins Bldg. from 1972 to 1974, with stints in the short-lived Pacific Palisades, Marina Del Rey, and Culver City locations. I do recall Helen's, as well as Rancho Park Cycles (Russ Huges) on Pico near Westwood, where I bought my Nishiki in 1971, and C. Harding's For Bikes (Charlie Harding) on Westwood Bl., my go-to source of open stock Regina freewheel cogs. Lots of memorable group rides with Los Angeles Wheelmen, including 1972 Double Century, and Velo Club La Grange. (Regarding that last one, someone had to come in last to sweep the course for stragglers. )
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069