Old 07-26-20, 07:23 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Cantilever Nostalgists: Kool Stop MTB Pads

Refusing to let go of my 1996 GT Outpost MTB as a commuter, touring bike, and everything else bike, I just replaced the Shimano Altus cantilever arms with a set of Tektro Oryx cantilevers, which made a big difference. However, the real improvement is the set of Kool Stop MTB pads (black) I just installed yesterday.

I have always been pretty much satisfied with my GT's braking abilities, but now I am almost a little TOO satisfied, as I'm finding I might have to re-train my hands to compensate for all the extra grip these pads bring with them!

I've ridden V-Brakes and I've heard all about disc brakes and I'm sure both have their advantages, but if you are wistful for old times and you don't want to give up your cantilevers, do yourself a favor and grab a set of these. They come in threaded and non-threaded and in black, salmon (wet weather), or a black/salmon combination. Heads-up, though, they are very long pads and might interfere with using a wider tire and narrow fork. I had been using (and loving) Schwalbe Big Apples on my bike and now, between the beefier Tektro cantilevers, the long Kool Stop pads, and my narrow 1990's front fork, I've had to switch to a more narrow tire. Not a big hardship for me, but possibly a dealbreaker for others.