View Single Post
Old 07-26-20, 10:12 PM
ooga-booga
lead on, macduff!

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 727 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder View Post
I'll just tag onto ooga-booga's posts

Glendora Mt Road/Glendora Ridge Route Rd up to Mt. Baldy Village. If you're a real glutton for punishment you can proceed farther up, past the Icehouse Canyon turn off, and tackle the switchbacks up to the Mt. Baldy Ski-lift area. Definitely a sufferfest!

San Luis Obispo south to (fill-in-your-location-here). Multi-day trip. Take Amtrak up to SLO and ride back along the coast. plenty of threads about this is BF, and its got nice views in its northern aspect, 'interesting' view farther south in the L.A./OC area (people watching). Pretty interesting. These days you'll probably end in San Clemente and take the train back to San Diego from there since Camp Pendelton's bicycle access has gotten pretty restrictive lately.

River Trails in the L.A. area. Try the Santa Ana River Trail (SART)and/or the San Gabriel River Trail (SGRT). Kinda boring, flat paved trails along the top to river levees, but the rides will give you some perspective when you go back to northern California. SART has a tricky part in the center (Yorba Linda to Corona), someone else might be able to chime in on that, but you could ride up from the beach to Yorba Linda and back for a decent 50 mile day.
any time i'm headed up to central coast, i check my to do list and compare it to the listed rides here. a lot of super helpful info on central coast possibilities/info so keep scrolling down...
Rides - SLOBC

a necessary evil/help with the north/south river trails in the la/oc area. they do a great job of moving you north/south. if you dispute that, try heading east/west in the la basin
(not including beach paths from long beach to newport beach). sometimes, they help to get (closer) to a destination like the la habra hills, downtown city of orange, the beach or
the (climbing) base of the 39. not perfect but oftimes, a good place to just crush miles. my personal fave is the la river trail from south of dtown la (vernon) all the way to long beach.
i can't generally recommend trying to enter/exit the northern half near dtown la tho...it's pretty hairy. lots of blah roads, fast traffic and 18-wheelers.