Old 07-28-20, 12:24 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
Campy out of spec, making it work

Campy Chorus 10 speed 12x30 with an 11 speed 50/34 crank. No other brands mixed in.

1. In the cross little little cross chain, the line is far enough off that it tries to shift into the big ring. The next up is noisy but doesnt force a shift. Per Campy, the UT crank will work up to 68.8mm. I can add up to .8mm of spacers on the drive side cup. Since .5 is all that's readily available, that's probably all I'll move it. Probably won't correct the problem but will reduce it. Due to the construction of the spider on the crank, it would not be possible to shim the rings out.

2. In granny, 34 x 30, there is a rub from the pulley to the cog. Campy has no b-screw. The tension screw it does have, paradoxically increases rub when tightened. Shortening the chain alleviates the problem but is so short that an accidental big/big will lock the chain and do who knows what to the derailleur and chain.

So for proper chain length I need to do something.

A wolf link would work but is dramatic overkill. I only need an eighth of an inch, maybe less. I shoved a thin piece of metal to space out the deraileur from the frame, it works. So I'm thinking I'll kludge one.

So yes, getting a new medium cage rear derailleur and getting a different compact crank that has a little more play in the chainline would be everyone's favorite answer.

Let's pretend that the bike is great most of the time and a couple things will make it better. Am I on the right track?

I find sometimes my mind wanders one direction and it's sometimes helpful to ask others. So what would you do?

​​​​​