View Single Post
Old 07-30-20, 07:32 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: 83 Bianchi Special 96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp 09 Gary Fisher Paragon 09 Surly Cross Check 11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Getting Better With Age

So, I began my fixed gear journey six years ago at the age of 55 primarily to make my 18 mile round trip commute more interesting. Due to hills, abilities and mental attitude I began riding under 60 gear inches - not that there is anything wrong with that. Fast forward to living in a different environment (flat), 100% teleworking and using my fixed gear for, besides utilitarian purposes, speed workouts, I'm now at 71 gear inches. I know this isn't that big in the real world but for me it gets my bike to giddy-up with noticeable speed when effort is applied. This has become so much fun that I've lost site of it being a "work-out." I'm thinking maybe 80 + gear inches by the time I'm 70 might be possible and getting pulled over for speeding a reality. Much of my devotion to fixed gear riding has come from inspiration gleaned from this site. For that I thank you all!
Likes For takenreasy: