View Single Post
Old 08-01-20, 02:27 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn Paramount OS - 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1985 Schwinn Voyageur SP - 1989 Cannondale SR

Mentioned: 212 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 758 Posts
Welcome @chadkams to BF. Finding tall bikes for our height (I'm 6'5") is difficult enough, but ones with stated weight capacities and/or proven in real life are even tougher to hunt down.

A good place to start is the in-good-humor-titled Clydesdales & Athenas sub-forum here. I have run across a number of posts of riders of similar height/weight with bike frame/wheel questions, so you're in good company there as you peruse the various threads.

For wheels, you're looking at something with at least 36 spokes, if not 40. "Deep V" or deep section rims are very stout and the high spoke count ensures everything is held together firmly. Steel is generally the material of choice for frames. The Zize bikes look like a good place to look. Another question to answer, if you haven't already, is your budget--whether you're considering new or used. Bikes built for extra strength will likely be a bit more than the average company offering, but since there are many who have blazed this trail before, I think they'll know of a few production bikes that were overbuilt plenty and can accommodate you, without breaking the bank.