View Single Post
Old 08-02-20, 07:02 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 1986 Rodriguez Tandem, 1992/93 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 1985 Fisher Comp, 1987 Puch Pro, two 1992 Bridgestone X0-1s; Projects: 1966/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 1960s Bernard Carre, two 1987 Gitane Team Pros, 1978 Ritchey Palo Alto Road Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Any other people in that photo who's name we'd recognize?

Maytag repairman seems to be thinking "I could never ride that thing"......
As per Joe's posting of this info on Retro Bike: "Wende Cragg, Andrew Ritchie, [me], Alan Wulzen, [Otis Guy], Tony Tom (Bicycle Odyssey, Sausalito), Sandra Davidson. The saddened Maytag repairman represents Fritz Maytag of Anchor Steam."

In his post Joe Breeze states: "Otis Guy and I commissioned Tom Ritchey to build us a tandem for our cross-country (SF-NY) record attempt. Early in 1979, I showed my Breezer #1 MTB to Tom. Specifically I wanted Tom to join the two sets of twin laterals to the seat tubes on our tandem-to-be the same way I had joined them on my Breezer, with an elliptisized cross tube." Joe was posting on a Mt. Bike focused website as he was showing the link between his Breezer, the Anchor Steamer, and subsequent Mtn. Bikes built by Ritchey.

1979 Ritchey "Anchor Steamer" tandem | Retrobike

Last edited by Markeologist; 08-02-20 at 08:50 PM. Reason: auto correct error