Thread: Hokkaido trip
View Single Post
Old 08-03-20, 01:37 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by waddo
We both have Surly LHT, wife with mousachio handlebars for easier braking. My routes are intricate and minutes planned over a couple of months, usually using mountain/country roads with little traffic. I also make the route based on places I want to visit: temples, shrines, historic/natural/hiking places and whenever possible abandoned buildings which will definitely feature in this trip.
Plenty of abandoned buildings in Hokkaido! I always wondered how the police would be about a little urban ex. I had look in a few buildings, some were like they just switched out the lights and walked out, though I did notice that one 8 story hotel near Lake Toya had been bought by the Chinese and flattened, much to my disappointment, was going to have a proper look that trip, last time I looked it still had brochures from the '90s sitting on the counter.
I had a look in an abandoned hotel further on the mainland once, had everything there, even yukatas in the cupboards, but somebody had attacked the kitchen with an axe....