Old 08-03-20, 08:38 AM
oldspokes

Bikes: more than 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
You are definitely not, didn’t have to worry about saving any original parts though. Built up this 78 Supercourse from a NOS replacement frame, repainted with original decals carried back from England under the clear coat, courtesy of Yellow Jersey in Arlington WI, NOS Cyclone GT rd, Superbe fd, good used original crank with new chainrings, NOS Suntour barcons, Gran Compe centerpulls with Superbe levers, Nitto seatpost, stem and bars, Brooks Pro saddle, Ofmega CX gold hubs matted to Velocity A23 rims, with assymetric rear and doublebutted spokes. Enjoyed the build, took over a year. That was almost a year and a half ago, have ridden it exactly 2 miles since, does look pretty good on the wall though.
Tim

Before

After

Collecting dust for now
I've got a '77 Super Course sitting here that I picked up 25 or more years ago, it was originally bright red, but its faded to a pale orange color with time. The bike itself is in great shape otherwise and nearly 100% original.
I thought about repainting it but can't justifiy a high dollar paint job on it, bu after looking at Sheldon Brown's Competition, and now your green SC, its go me thinking about it again. The way the bike sits now, its the perfect bike to ride and not worry about scratching, and its 100% reliable. Its just ugly.
I thought about trying to match the original paint, but since the original paint was a 'candy' type color, in that they used a translucent color coat over a metallic basecoat to get the deep, bright red it had. I've not seen a close enough single coat paint to match and none of the original paint has survived enough to get a paint sample from to have something custom mixed.
My next idea was to make it black, and build it as a n upright bike like Sheldon did, possibly using an internal gear hub as well.
Your green bike gives me an idea, how about painting it British racing green, painting the fenders and all green.