Old 08-04-20, 10:21 AM
Quadzilla2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help needed with Gravel/All Road Purchase

Hello Everyone. I'm looking to get my first gravel/all road purchase. I plan on being asphalt 40% of the time along with chip/seal bumpier around 30% and rail trail gravel the other 30%. Like to try the Dirty Kanza at some point but not soon.
I can't make a decision. I'm 6'3 235. I've messed up my wheels a lot lately. Time to spend money on a good set or at least have good ones that come on the bike. I'm definitely more of a masher.
I could buy a used All City Cosmic Stallion Frame or a new Midnight Special Frame and build it up. The ACCS is $880 so a $400 savings over a new one. The bike itself is $2699, with a weak wheelset. Can someone give me an idea on the cost for me to build a bike? I don't need the best shifters brakes, etc. Probably, mid tier whatever that might be. I know I need a good wheelset though.
The other one I keep coming back to is a Jenson build Niner RLT Steel for $2700 on discount. It looks like it comes with 32h higher end DT Swiss? Am I going up into that price range regardless if I do a build?
Can I outpedal a 1x set up if I'm more of a 80cadence?
I am looking for more comfort than my current tri bike provides. I know the tires make a big difference. I don't want to go from averaging 19-21mph down to 15mph though, so trying to find a happy medium.
Thanks for any assistance, as I have a really hard time making up my mind on anything.