Old 08-06-20, 03:18 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
Since you have enough money to even ask the question about spending more money on something not entirely necessary, you are already past the two lowest levels of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

So am I, and I buy a new bike about every 10 years. I'm really not buying a new bike for the Love and Belonging, as I don't even wear bike "kit" and don't do that many group rides, let alone race.

If I'm honest, the Esteem level does come into play - going from my 1996 steel Trek 520 to my 2017 carbon Trek Domane definitely hit the "self-esteem, strength and freedom" buttons even if I really don't think "respect" or "status" came into play.

For that one, I made a deal with myself: lose 20 pounds and spend on a bike that weighed 10 lbs less than the 520. I wanted to climb hills faster but I was also 40 lbs overweight! So, I felt I justified this "need" with "being the best I could be" with lowering overall bike/rider weight, not just bike weight! ...<snip>
Over the years this has been my best way to justify (and limit) myself when I would get the gimme's and want's. It was a twofer, good for my health and my wallet. The TWO exceptions were with the hand-built wheels purchase and the Brooks saddle purchase.