Old 08-07-20, 06:51 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
You're probably sliding forward on the saddle because the arm pads are level to almost pointed down towards the front wheel. The opposite of what you want. The other telltale sign of sliding forward on the saddle is too much reach. That's the distance from saddle to the arm pads. If you can't adjust the reach by buying a different stem or moving the arm pads back, then grip the extensions further back.

You should be able to steer the bike and rest almost 100% of your front body weight on your elbows on the pads......NOT on the extensions or your palms. You can help steer with the extensions, yes, but if you're having to hold on tight onto them because of the fit..........that's not right.

I'd start by rotating the clip-on assembly so that the arm pads are tilted a degree or so up.......meaning the extensions might go up a bit at the tips.

Next, the palms don't determine anything with the saddle. Nothing. The saddle is set based on your inseam and the reach/setback you want to run. If anything, it would be the reach to the pads.

As for your "locked in" feeling, you won't get that with a cockpit setup so that you are having to grip the extensions like that. "Locked in" comes from the ergonomics of the pads, their angle, and your hand grip relative to them.

To me "locked in" means you have elbow pads with a touch of support on the outside of your elbows. Next, they have a slight tilt up. Then, the extensions have a hand grip angle such that you kind of lightly grip it and perhaps pull up a bit with your fingers that are wrapped on the underside of the extensions.

The picture below offers an "extreme" example visually of what I'm talking about. It's my bike. I say extreme because it's at the maximum limit of allowed pad to extension tip height and maximum angle of pad tilt to compete. However, you can see that my elbows will rest such that they keep you from sliding forward. Next, the sides are higher on the pads (that's a bling thing, not many pads have that), and lasly the extensions have a hand grip angle such that my grip pulls my elbows into the pads even further.

When people with more talent than I do the "invisible aero bar" thing on a road bike.......there are no extensions. So, they're steering the bike with their elbows. Same thing here. That's where the weight/pressure should reside.

The implications of supporting yourself on your hands is that you'll have a tight neck and shoulders and can't hold your head in a comfortable (or aero) position.

Again, the picture is extreme..........but, it could help visualize what I'm talking about and improve comfort and fit on any aerobar setup. Even aerobar setups just meant for an extra position to ride in for comfort on long leisure rides.