Old 08-11-20, 04:21 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by SkepticalOne
The telescoping plastic half-sleeves that bridge the space between the two cups across the frame (shielding the spindle from inner cabling/wiring) that are each joined to their respective cups with a snap-fit, creak whenever the frame flexes, resonating across the frame.
I’m a bit confused about what exactly the “half sleeves” are because from the pictures of the BB, it looks like the outer sleeve goes all the way from one end to the other... and so does the inner one.

I’m guessing that the inner sleeve snaps onto one side, the outer sleeve snaps onto the other side, and then you slide the outer sleeve over the inner sleeve? So the outer and inner sleeve essentially merge into one very thick sleeve.

But because there is some slop between the outer and inner sleeve, that causes creaking? Let me know if this sounds right. I’m trying to imagine what advantage this design has over a single sleeve design, and how the CS designers didn’t foresee this issue.

EDIT: here’s my very crude drawing. Blue is bearings, red and black are the left and right CS alloy housing/plastic sleeves. Green squiggles are creak zones.

My only hypothesis for why CS would choose this design is that it allows frames to get away with more misalignment than a single sleeve design. But I don’t know enough to comment more.

Last edited by smashndash; 08-11-20 at 04:38 PM.
Likes For smashndash: