Old 08-12-20, 10:21 AM
canopus 

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR300, 1985 Cannondale ST400, 1984 Trek 760, 1984 Trek 610, 1984 Trek 720, 1981 Trek 710, 1979 Trek 710, Gary Littlejohn Cruiser, BMX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 40 Posts
Post your pedals... or Pedal diversion...

Just because a friend of mine is going through his old BMX stuff and I finally pulled out my Redline from storage to save it from rust. We got to talking about pedals. I loved the old KKT's because the teeth and they were the bomb, but man I slipped off of them constantly, especially riding in streams and jumping in the lake. Some of the guys loved the Hutch's when they came out, I couldn't afford them.. I loved the suntour mountain pedals but their cages had the problem of the teeth being flattened out. Then Urchin released some cages for them (the Suntours) which made them better than the hutch and just plain cheaper.

Over all though my favorite pedal was the Shimano DX platform. So simple. Bombproof. Non-slip. I only ever damaged one pedal and that was because I landed the pedal on the quarter pipe and the rest of the bike off to the side on the ground.

So just for diversions sake I offer up what I have left of my old pedals and what they have morphed into.

From left to right: 1st)Suntour '80's beartraps with replacement Urchin cages. 2nd) is the original Shimaon DX platform. 3rd) is the Shimano DX re-release from about 10 yrs ago. 4th) is the 2nd to latest rendition of the Shimano platform the PD-M8040 (it was cheaper than the XT-8141 I was looking for ;-)

I have to rebuild the original DX pedals and am trying to figure out how to get the caps off.. The aluminum is bent in around the cap (Every time you wrecked the aluminum formed a lip around the edge of the cap), a wonderful design element that made sure you didn't loose your pedal cap. But it makes maintenance a pain.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics

Last edited by canopus; 09-06-20 at 03:01 AM. Reason: grammer!
Likes For canopus: