View Single Post
Old 08-12-20, 03:09 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by rlorenz2
Understandable and the pump works great for me.

I refinished the handle and put on a new hose in those photos, so yes it would mis-date off those items.

Looking back at my email to Silca. They indicated some some old catalogs were used for dating the pump. Upon request to scan the catalogs, they indicated they were in too poor of shape to scan.
LOL. Maybe. Or they didn't want to share the IP they paid good money for.

Since you refinished the handle and the hose is new, it could be an original 60s pump. The gauge could have been replaced by someone else. The brass base looks remarkably unworn and untarnished for the 1960s though. Could have been cleaned and dipped of course, or sandblasted. I'm still not ruling out reissue, but really it doesn't matter that much. It's a Silca pump made by the original Silca company regardless.

AFA stuff being on the web, I've noticed big companies do a lot of retroactive gaslighting. You'd never know for example that Shimano originally marketed SPD as a road pedal system alternative to Look. They pretend it was always MTB only. And today, digressing a bit into the subject of C&V lunch, I discovered that Laughing Cow cheese triangles were always soft and spreadable, back to 1921. Uh huh. No, they never were fake semi hard 'gruyere', a pasteurized processed cheese food product, the French equivalent of Kraft singles. Never existed. Nope. /s