View Single Post
Old 08-13-20, 06:10 AM
Old Fireleg

Bikes: '76 Colnago Super NR,'83 Romani Aero KL/SP SR, '85 Mino Denti Aero Master CR, '86 ALAN Cyclo-cross DA, '89 Bottecchia SLX CR, '90 Colnago Master Piu CR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie View Post
Another Pinarello story -- at the factory they have a bike they claim is the superlight that Battaglin used in the Tre Cime mountains stage in the '81 Giro. (He got 3rd on the stage, but put time into his GC contenders, so it's effectively the day he won the Giro.) But the bike Pinarello has is a different bike!
Yes, I have experienced this contradiction already. The Cinelli stem (1A vs. 1R) and the Allen screw on the brake caliper show the difference from afar. Here is another picture of the supposedly original Tre Cime. With race number 61 but the red anodized bottle cage is the same.

Only two pictures of the mountain stage, but the Allen screw and 1A stem are shown. And here’s a picture of the last TT stage, here’s the red cage. But this is a bike with an aero shifter and 1R stem.

But I’m not surprised because there are also a couple of “original” pieces from Merckx’s Mexican bike. Just like Saronni's Goodwood-winner. I’ve seen Moser take photos with the ’84 Giro winning bike decades later, but it was a few years later type , although the painting was the same. For a racer, a bike is like a hunter’s dog. Tool.
Likes For Old Fireleg: