View Single Post
Old 08-13-20, 04:59 PM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Haha, you sound like you've been down this road before! Tobukog, are you in Japan, too? (by the way this was a JBCF official, but I think you analysis holds...)
I've had my "issues" with cycling officials in Japan.

Many years ago I was the lead senior rider for the Kagoshima (a prefecture in Japan) Kokutai team (basically a full on National Sports Festival / Olympic Festival type event). Our team was half athletes, half officials / coaches. The officials and coaches were pretty much interested in partying with hostess girls and drinking. The day before the road race, they ordered one of the juniors, who had qualified despite being from one of the "non-favored schools", to collect the team laundry and spend the evening doing everyone's wash at the laundromat. I just lost it and declared in front of the whole team that if that's the job of the athletes, I would be going too. Needless to say it didn't go over very well.

I was pretty pissed and didn't really care, so I attacked from the gun and pulled a group clear. We got caught 5km from the finish, and I barely hung on for 15th, so my point was probably lost. Such is life.