Old 08-13-20, 07:21 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26390 Post(s)
Liked 10,366 Times in 7,197 Posts
...on sizing for these: IIRC, back in ancient times we only saw them in 21" (most common) and 23" frames. I'm uncertain if that was all they made, or that was just what got imported to the US. The Raleigh Sports bikes that got sold most places were in the same boat.

So those of us (like me), who prefer a 24" frame made do with the 23" frame. It's not that hard to get one to fit, because there's a lot of stem adjustment leeway in the up and down direction, the seat posts were usually long (if not, the proper size post in longer length is readily available, and the geometry and wheel base is pretty long, so long top tube relative to the frame's seat tube.

When I fitted mine to my needs, I used a longer extension stem I had in the miscellaneous stems box. Also, the 27 inch wheels they came with give more stand over height than the bikes like the sports with 26x1 3/8 tyres and wheels.

The longer geometry is deceptive in photos, because the head tubes are short relative to size. So they look smaller than they are. I think the bike in the photos is a 23" model.
Likes For 3alarmer: