View Single Post
Old 08-14-20, 11:38 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
For sure there is a ton of difference in feel between a heavy and light bike.
A true 19# gravel bike in medium/large sizing is pretty darn good for weight.

The difference between a true 21# bike and 19# bike just isn't much. That's the difference I was mentioning in the other thread as it's a realistic average difference in frame weight(1000g) since all other components would be the same.

I was saying that tire width is going to affect specifically the road feel more than frame material.

Blindfolded, i certainly wouldn't known what frame material im riding based on road vibration if I have 50mm tires at 30psi.
Originally Posted by Koyote
I would, too, all other things equal. But all other things are never equal, in this case. And when you look at the actual physics of it (and play around at a website like this one), it's apparent that a lighter bike is usually not much faster.

'Course, it partly depends on how much lighter...But if we're only talking about a couple pounds, it's not a big deal.
Agreed and agreed.

I'm at the point in my life where I'm never gonna be the fastest, but I'm also not the slowest. What it comes down to is how the bike feels, even if it doesn't technically add speed. I want a bike that is fun to ride. What that is for each person varies. And there ain't nuthin' wrong with that.
Likes For shoota: