View Single Post
Old 08-17-20, 12:06 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
"If everyone else crashes, we might make the podium." Pretty sure that is not the best strategy. Like a few others, I don't buy it. Teams like Jumbo Visma aren't deciding on their strategies depending on how Froome or Thomas perform. They have their players and will play whoever is healthy. They know as much about bike racing as the Ineos brain trust. Ineos can't lull them into a sense fo false security or something ... inf act, JV's ability to adapt to losing Kruijswijk and Roglic dropped out. JV knows that they can lose any rider at any time ... that is a bigger worry than what other teams do, because JV knows that if its team does its part, that's all it can do.

It may be that Froome and Thomas are not ready yet, after the layoff, and Froome's injuries, but in another month---the final week of the Tour---they might be. Thing is, after 14 stages, Ineos might be so far back all they can do is seek stage wins.

Sivakov rode like a hero, particularly after crashing. No other Ineos rider could even hang with the Pinot group. Sandbagging? Looks to me more like the team didn't do well with indoor training.

Could they be ready in two weeks, to do much better than they did this week? it isn't impossible, but does the team want to do two weeks of really hard training and then do a Grand Tour?

Thomas and Froome are what, 32? 33? And Froome has had terrible luck with crashed and illness. Shoot, Ineos didn't depend on Thomas or Froome for Last year's Tour, and this year they are older and less fit.

If Bernal doesn't lose a lot of training time with his back injury, he is Ineos' best GC hope, I'd say

But hey, England is known for its sport betting. Maybe Ineos' owners are trying to rig the odds to make it big with their bookies.

Just as plausible as sandbagging IMO.

One the final hand---absolutely super bike race. The Dauphine offered excitement in every stage, and Stage 5 was the best, with the GC battle stretching across throughout. That's the kind of stuff which keeps me watching through the sprint stages.
defimitely. wipeouts. abandons. hailstorms. (super)domestiques getting a chance to shine. a big breakaway sticking. young punk(s) killing it. gc hanging in the balance until the last few seconds on the last day. 5 wild and crazy days.