View Single Post
Old 08-17-20, 11:25 AM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 1,672 Times in 865 Posts
Took the Surly for a little ride after breakfast. While I was standing with the bike at the top of my driveway, trying to get the Pocket Devil to do my bidding and record a GPS track, a helmetless teenage girl on a bmx cruiser came riding down my street, no-hands, patted her hair, then popped a wheelie. She held that for about 3 seconds, then had an unscheduled dismount from the back of the bike, but landed on her feet and remounted with reasonable grace, and continued on her way. She could easily have been one of the kids from Mass. & Mystic yesterday evening, but in any case fits the demographic. The kids are all right.

Now equipped with something to ponder, I put the Devil in my pocket and rolled across the Mystic into West Medford, North up Mystic River Road and Mystic Valley Parkway along the East banks of the Mystic River and Mystic Lakes, on into Winchester and East on Bacon Street, climbing the hill to the rotary, there picking up Route 38 South, a.k.a. Main Street, Winchester, and riding a long undulation up, then down into Medford, with Main Street becoming Winthrop Street.

Got through the construction, with its steel plates, and then turned South West onto Playstead Road. I paused there for a moment to photograph the Oak Grove Cemetery World War I memorial at the top of the grand staircase. I need to come back on foot and explore, there's apparently a lot there.

Continued down Playstead to the West Medford village center, crossed the tracks, picked up Harvard Street, crossed the river, and pedaled home.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 08-17-20 at 11:35 AM.