View Single Post
Old 08-17-20, 10:02 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10959 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
Originally Posted by Het Volk
I have not understood the need for these brakes on a Touring bike? I guess I envision that what I need for a touring bike is ability to repair it, and keep maintenance to a minimum. Adding a hydraulic brake and added mechanical complexity, not to mention increased weight just seems to outweigh any benefits. Perhaps, depending on the terrain, when fully loaded, the beneficial stopping power on a mountain pass might be necessary, but it seesm good old cantilever brakes have worked in these circumstances for years (and in some cases, they were single-pivot brakes such as on the Fuji America of the early 80's no less)

I was actually a little disappointed that Trek dropped a Cantilever 520 option in the latest model run. Unfortunately, it seems a self-reinforcing prophecy, that as companies initially pushed disc brakes, it ingrained in the public's mind that these brakes were absolutely so much better, that it inherently dropped demand for a cantilever options, which further led to manufacturers dropping such options.
The fuji bike that is the subject of this thread uses mechanical disc brakes.
Its a cable actuated brake just like you use for rim brakes.
It is no less relaible than whatever rim brake system you are comfortable with.

All my touring bikes have used rm brakes, so clearly I am content with them, but my hydrsulic disc gravel bike stops easier/better than any of the touring bikes. It isnt like I feel underpowered when braking on my cantilever bikes, but the hydrsulkc dosc brakes certainly are easier to actuate and inspire more confidence.

But again- the bike in question uses a cable actuated brake so your complaint about hydraulic brakes doesn't apply.

I find it neat that we have so many options for bikes right now.
Likes For mstateglfr: