View Single Post
Old 08-18-20, 04:15 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 528 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1801 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 202 Posts
From what I've seen, there are three or four basic ways to attach a bag at this location.

You can just hang a bag from the handlebar. I've tried one of these and have up on it. It tends to flop under the bar and I find this pretty useless.

There are the ones that hang from a steel support that cantilevers forward from the center of the bar. The old Cannondale handle bar bags are like that. The advantage is it's easy to move from bike to bike. But they're not big. I have one that I rarely use.

Some attach to the bar with a click-fix system. These can be pretty nice but they always stand to a couple inches higher than I'd like. I have one that I used to use a lot but I never really liked it. I won't replace it.

And finally there are the ones that require a front rack and decaleur. This is by far the most expensive type of bag, and the rack and decaleur may cost almost as much as the bag. But it's really the best way to mount a bag. I have two of these, both older models from Velo Orange that they don't make anymore. I use one of them all the time. If I needed to replace it I'd probably get the current model from Velo Orange.