View Single Post
Old 08-19-20, 07:17 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,532 Posts
Originally Posted by LiamCrickard
I very recently retired and my son has persuaded me to start riding again so I bought an e-bike to ease back into the saddle and I'm afraid I'm hooked once again. I like to pedal and I have two vintage bikes, a nearly pristine 80s Concorde Aquila, all Campy SR and a 70s Serotta Club Series (predates Club Special) no braze-ons except for the derailler cable. The Seroota was my daily driver and it has been refinished twice without decals and currently looks pretty rough. I loved riding this bike and I want to bring it back. The problem is my new Yamaha Urban Rush e-bike has spoiled me with great indexed shifting and hydraulic disc brakes. I would like to return it to original form but I already have a really nice bike with friction shifters, caliper brakes and tubulars. When I give the Serotta to a re finisher I could add braze-ons for everything including disc brakes, re space the dropouts for a cassette rear hub and tubeless tires. Part of me feels like this would be blasphemy and another part of me feels like this is my bike and I can do what I want. What would you do?
My vote is to do it you have the Aqula for eroica/heroica rides (another thing to get into)

IMHO skip the disc breaks.....the forks were not designed to handle the stress and modern dual pivot brakes are great.performance wise

I personally would really question going tubeless unless you plan on running larger than 32mm , I know some swear by them but it seems a lot swear at them, especially for on road fixes

and most importantly take lots of pics and post before and afters

running modern gear on a classic steel frame IMHO gets the best of both world. I have do it with a de rosa and with my current go to rid an 85 Team Miyata

Likes For squirtdad: