View Single Post
Old 08-20-20, 08:44 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 572 Posts
Ishiwata CCL death fork crown?

I just ran across several posts in the recent Trek thread about the Ishiwata CCL fork crown causing failures. This bike is definitely an '82 according to the catalog, and that fork crown is definitely an Ishiwata CCL. It _did_ look janky and cheap compared to the rest of the bike.

This thread has a lot of hearsay and two first-hand accounts of failure.
And this post shows an actual failure. I only believe these sorts of rumors if I see them, and boy, now I've seen them!

Seems they fail as gracefully as a fork ever can. Still disconcerting. Given how much I've massaged the fork blades around, I think it would have revealed a crack if there were one existing as of now. I've ridden it hard, quite a bit, on gravel this summer. I rinko it regularly so I am always inspecting it in that area. Think that's enough? Maybe I build a fork next. What do people think? gugie?

Last edited by scarlson; 08-20-20 at 10:22 AM.