Old 08-21-20, 09:17 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
All large or oversized vehicles are a problem for cyclists. Even with the "Share the Road" laws now in effect here in California larger vehicles rarely give a three foot clearance for cyclists . The worst offenders in my experience are city buses. Several weeks ago while on my way home I was brushed by a bus on my left arm, it scared the crap out of me. The bus was traveling at about 25 mph and I was going about 10 as I approached an intersection. After just clearing in front of me the bus swerved to make a right turn in front of me as we both got closer to the intersectection. I grabbed my brake levers with all I could muster and avoided hitting the back of the bus. I was going straight so I went around the left side of him and proceeded to the red light. When I got home I sent an email off to the city manager with my cel phone # and included time of day with a description of what had happened and that I had rarely had a bus stick to the three foot clearance . I got a call about 3-4 days later from a supervisor that told me they were having a safety meeting about the three foot rule and that buses must adhere. I have noticed a difference as I ride a lot and have more than once had a bus wait for me rather than cut in front for a bus stop or turn . I can only hope this is a trend, time will tell.
Good for you for reporting it. If I ever have a similar issue I’m hoping my camera footage will be helpful.