View Single Post
Old 08-22-20, 11:53 AM
zorax2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I went from a 2014 Specialized Roubaix Expert (Ultegra groupset, passive suspension with CGR seatpost) to 2020 Trek Domane SLR9 (SRAM Red for nearly everything, aero XXX wheelset). I'm certainly not worthy of such a bike (middle aged guy with a 240W FTP) but I absolutely loved both bikes but the Domane takes it to a new level. I typically ride at least 25 miles per ride, often 50 and yesterday did 130 miles on the Domane. I felt fresher than I could have ever imagined after that ride.

If you like longer rides, I think you will find a lot of enjoyment in a new road bike. I don't know what your budget is but I would recommend that most people try to find a bike setup the way you'd like on the used market to save some big bucks. On the other hand, there isn't a lot of new or used bikes available right now.

The most important thing to do, in my opinion, is to get a pre-buy bike fit to ensure you get the right size frame. I was surprised to find a significant fitting difference between the Roubaix (58cm) and needing a 60 or even a 62cm Domane to fit properly. I got the 60cm Domane and used the preliminary fitting measurements to get things setup and will fine tune with the fitter soon.

I learned a lot from the fitting including how to improve my pedaling technique which I suspect will result in substantial improvement in my power. Additionally (note the 130 mile ride), the bike fits perfectly.
Likes For zorax2: